Trip report - 30th Anniversary of Sureline's closure.
Back in 1966, and against Werner Heubeck's wishes, the Ulster Transport Authority passed unremunerative routes in the Lurgan and Portrush areas to Sureline Coaches and Coastal Bus Service, respectively. Coastal sold to Ulsterbus in 1974, while Sureline, on the retirement of owner Joe English, shut up shop on the last Saturday in June 1987 after just over twenty-one years' service to the people of the Lurgan area.
On Saturday 24 June 2017, Irish Transport Heritage marked the thirtieth anniversary of Sureline's closure and sale to Ulsterbus with a tour of routes in the Lurgan area. The vehicle used was Leopard 1591 (SOI 3591), a longtime Craigavon bus, which was driven by Trevor Dixon, a former Sureline driver. Visits were made from Lurgan to Brownlow House (garage site), Ballinderry (via Aghalee), Gawley's Gate, Derryadd (Ardmore church), Bannfoot (Charlestown), Derrytrasna, Portadown (via Knocknamuckley), Dromore (via Donacloney and Blackskull), Tandragee (via Gilford) and Banbridge (via Waringstown). 1591 is seen here at Ardmore church, Bannfoot and Tandragee.
Also shown are some pictures of the final day of Sureline operation.